The links to many U.S. government resources are currently not working.
These links, also called "PURLs" or "persistent URLs" are maintained by the U.S. Government Printing Office (GPO). GPO's PURL server had a significant hardware failure on August 24, 2009. The hardware has been fixed, but the process to restore online document service is on-going.
No data has been lost, and if you have a non-PURL internet address for the documents, you will still be able to reach them. Even documents hosted by GPO itself should still be available.
If you do encounter a broken PURL, do an internet search on the title, using Google or another search engine. I'm also happy to help look for a document.
Here's what a GPO PURL looks like: http://purl.access.gpo.gov/GPO/LPS5149
And here's a MadCat library catalog record with a PURL link.
...to selected government documents in the plant & insect sciences not available in print at the UW-Madison:
- "Chemicals and fuels from whole-crop utilization"
- "Crop Disaster Program"
- "Crop genetic resources: an economic appraisal"
- "Database of Lotic invertebrate traits for North America"
- "Effects of rain gardens on the quality of water in the Minneapolis-St. Paul metropolitan area of Minnesota, 2002-04"
- "Emerald ash borer: the green menace"
- "Field guide to insects and diseases of Arizona and New Mexico forests"
- "Information resources on the care and use of insects: 1968-2004"
- "Management and research applications of long-range surveillance radar data for birds, bats, and flying insects"
- "Mapping risk from forest insects and diseases"
- "Monitoring of biocontrol insect release sites in southern Idaho, 2002-2003"
- "Planting and maintaining your native landscape to ensure survival of your plants"
- "Possible implications for U.S. agriculture from adoption of select dietary guidelines"
- "Regulatory barriers in international horticultural markets"
- "U.S. agriculture after Hurricane Katrina: status and issues"
- "USDA's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service and DHS' Customs and Border Protection: working together to protect agriculture"
- "Veterinary, Medical, and Urban Entomology National Program (U.S.): Annual report"
- "Waste, fraud, and abuse in the Federal Crop Insurance Program: hearing before the Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, House of Representatives, One Hundred Tenth Congress, first session, May 3, 2007"