Tuesday, May 25, 2010
UW-Madison Libraries subscribe to the Crop Protection Compendium database from CABI, which is now available on their new interface in beta.
This online multi-media resource can be searched by keyword, or browsed by animals (arachnids, molluscs, nematodes, birds, mammals), bacteria, fungi, oomycetes, plants, protozoa, unknown aetiology, and viruses. It includes:
* 2,800+ detailed data sheets on crops, crop pests, diseases, weeds, invasive plants, natural enemies, pesticides and biopesticides
* Information on an additional 27,000 species, including distribution maps
* 8,000+ pictures to allow for easy identification and teaching
* 200,000 article records from the CAB Abstracts database (updated weekly), including 6,500 full-text journal and conference articles
* 9,000+ term interactive glossary
Monday, May 24, 2010
Did you know that FFA (Future Farmers of America) doesn't have to end after high school? The National FFA Organization offers many programs and scholarships as well as activities at national convention and connections to future employers for internships and full-time positions. You might also be interested in volunteering or mentoring for your local chapter. Until June 30, alumni over the age of 18 who sign up for the "FFA Beyond High School" e-newsletter will be entered into a drawing for an iPad. The e-newsletter will provide information about scholarships, internships, Collegiate FFA and alumni opportunities. Go to http://www.ffa.org/beyondhighschool to sign up for the e-newsletter. [Source: National FFA Organization]
You may also be interested in:
* FFA new horizons (1952-2009)
* Handbook on agricultural education in public schools (2008)
* Focus, news, agricultural education (Wisconsin Assn. of FFA, 1988-1999)
* 100 years of agricultural education: FFA in Wisconsin (1994)
* Wisconsin FFA alumni handbook (1985)
* Future Farmers of America and career education (1978)
* The FFA and you; your guide to learning (1962)
* Official manual for Future Farmers of America (1951)
* Future Farmers of America in action (1945)
* Fun and work for future farmers, FFA: a collection of games, programs, and community activities with practical ideas and suggestions for social and recreational programs for rural boys’ organizations (1934)
* The Dunn County future farmer (1930)
Wednesday, May 19, 2010
UW-Madison is a partner of the Plant Management Network, managed by the American Phytopathological Society, American Society of Agronomy, and Crop Science Society of America. Students, staff and faculty have full access to the site, including:
• Plant Health Progress - peer-reviewed journal focusing on plant protection; covers plant disease, entomology, and nematology of crops and ornamentals.
• Crop Management - peer-reviewed journal covering crop management practices, crop nutrients, and production agriculture; focuses on maximizing crop yield and value.
• Forage and Grazinglands - peer-reviewed journal covering animal nutrition and rangeland management.
• Applied Turfgrass Science - peer-reviewed journal covering the many aspects of turfgrass management.
• Plant Disease Management Reports - More than 5,000 searchable efficacy reports on various means of pest control, such as fungicides, nematicides, and biological controls. PDMR’s purpose is to help users determine the most effective chemicals and nonchemical pest management agents and to ensure maximum effectiveness/minimum use in terms of application. Reports cover various crops, ornamentals, turf and forage.
• Arthropod Management Tests - Efficacy reports of insecticides and other means of insect control. Helps users determine the most effective chemicals and brands in managing insects and also to ensure maximum effectiveness/minimum use in terms of application rates. Reports cover crops, ornamentals, turf and forage.
• Symposium/Meeting Proceedings - A collection of proceedings on topics related to agriculture and horticulture.
• Focus on Soybean - An online portal for growers, crop consultants, and researchers seeking information on producing healthy, high-yielding soybean crops. Features webcasts from noted extension agents on soybean crop production, protection, and management.
• Focus on Potato - An online portal for growers, crop consultants, and researchers seeking information on producing healthy, high-yielding potato crops. Features webcasts from noted extension agents on potato crop production, protection, and management.
• Focus on Ag Practitioners - A one-stop portal of agricultural resources for certified crop advisers, independent consultants, and other ag practitioners.
• PMN Image Collections - A collection of more than 4,000 plant disease and agricultural images for disease identification, class illustrations, and presentations.